Wednesday, March 25, 2009

3D Debacle

I taught myself a lesson this week: never think your first attempt at an unfamiliar art form will be worthy of giving away as a birthday present!

I got all excited about making a 3D tree out of paper inside a shadow box. Problem was, I had the idea two (already very busy) days before the birthday party where I wanted to give it away, and I hadn't made a 3D anything out of paper before. I didn't really think the thing through, I just started going and imagined that something decently interesting would come out the other end. Boy, was I wrong. The result was a disappointingly dull tree emerging from the back of the shadow box and extending onto the top and bottom of the frame. Yuck, yuck, yuck.

The trunk of the tree was cool enough, though, that I think my general working method is pretty strong. My next try will be a wholly freestanding tree (or some other object) shaped out of layers and layers of paper.

In case you're wondering, I gave the birthday person a coupon for a future Bell Buoy Press item. When I'm better at this 3D thing, I'll make him a tree.

No comments: